top of page
Open Range Field Services Logo


WHEN CAN we start getting our easement plats?

The answer to this question will vary for everyone, as there are many factors involved in determining when we can produce a plat. Route development, access to the property, title documents, and unclear deadlines all change the timeline.

To get your easement plats promptly, here is what we will need:

  • Google Earth (KMZ) file of the proposed route

  • Preliminary land-owner line list, reporting available survey permissions granted

  • Vesting Title with sufficient property descriptions

How much should I expect to invest? what's your price per square foot?

First and foremost, the price per foot is only a baseline estimate. Your final investment will depend on your individual project. All of the same factors that affect your easement plats timeline will also affect your overall investment.

Your timeline is particularly important in calculating your costs: the shorter the timeline, the more resources it will require. Internal and external influences will also affect your timeline. Give us a call for an estimate.

when will my as-builts be finished/delivered?

The contractor's schedule will determine that timeline. By leveraging our experience, we guide our customer's projects from "field to finish" and to the completion of the As-Built survey by collecting critical information at the right time, from the right people.

Our mission is to turn around all As-Built pipeline projects 30 days after demobilizing our survey crews or the commissioning of the pipeline for operations, whichever comes first. We understand the value of the data we collect and prioritize handing off a complete data package to the pipeline operator in a timely fashion.

The flow of documents -- specifically material testing reports (MTR) which often hold up that timeline -- affects our ability to do our due diligence and validate our data. It is the number one contributor to delayed completion. Gathering this information during construction is critical to the timeline.

pipeline routing

why do you have to put "boots on the ground" to create a survey in-field? Can you Not route it from aerial imagery?

Unfortunately, aerial imagery is not up to date with the fast industry of pipelines at this time. You can get a rough preliminary route off of Google Earth or Bing, but we will need "boots on the ground" to verify the route can be constructed.

Using drones, we can fly the route and get updated imagery, but we will need to physically inspect the site at some point and time. Not only is this necessary to define boundaries, but it also allows us to pick up crossings like underground pipelines and utilities that the drones often miss.

what details do you need to finalize the route?

  • Title, deeds, and easements for all tracts impacted by the route along with the last deed of record for the immediate adjoining lands

  • Landowner permission to enter the property

  • General routing factors (maximum desired field bend angles, easement and workspace widths, bore box sizes, the direction of construction/flow, etc.)

  • The carrier pipe specifications

Why do you need land-owner records (such as titles and deeds) to tighten up the route?

We need titles and deeds to identify the current landowner and to resolve property boundaries and determine locations of existing easements that impact the final route determination. Many new construction projects parallel an existing pipeline or pipeline corridor. As a result, we may have to adjust your easement to theirs.

construction staking

what all gets staked?

During a typical project, we will stake:

  • ROW limits -- to ensure your project stays on the proposed ROW. All ATWS corners will be clearly marked with three lathes to show the direction of travel, and ROW will be staked at 200' intervals between PI and ATWS.

  • Centerline -- we'll stake the centerline at 200' intervals along with all PI's and crossing features such as utilities, creeks, and roads. A re-stake of the centerline for ditching will be completed after grading is completed.

  • Bore and HDD entry/exits

  • Ground stakes -- if cattle are an issue, we will put in ground stakes

  • Environmental areas (if needed)

What is needed to get started?

First off, you will need to have completed a pre-job checklist, and all safety measures will need to be in place.

Once this is complete, our team will need:

  • Survey supplies will need to be ordered and in a place convenient for the crews to access. We typically rent a storage unit in the area.

  • Prior to construction staking, crews need IFC alignment sheets, staking files, KMZ of route, construction line list (usually supplied by land management) and a contact list with all affected parties, including the land group, inspection, ORFS project manager, supervisor, and crew members

  • Notifications to landowners need to be made by land management team prior to entry on all private properties

  • Survey control points will need to be set and/or verified 

  • And finally, staking procedure should be given to our crew if you have specific color preferences

How much lead time do you need prior to starting construction?

In order to stay ahead of the clearing crew, a minimum of 1 week should be provided. Depending on the terrain, more time may be needed. Heavily wooded or brushy areas that require total station work or heavy brush clearing will take 2 weeks minimum.

How much staking can a single crew get staked per day?

On a normal construction staking project, a single crew should be able to complete a minimum of 1 linear mile per day. This could be less depending on the terrain and whether or not ATV can be used. Some other projects that may have minimal TWS, fewer utility crossings and easier terrain, makes it possible for a crew to stake up to 2 miles per day.

AS-built surveying

how much will the as-built survey cost?

We can't know for sure until we know the details of your project. Your cost will depend on:

  • The construction schedule, logistics, and sequence

  • The type and specification of data deliverable

  • Document management and the timely flow of information from the procurement and inspection team

What information do you typically collect on a normal pipeline project?

As much or as little as needed. Federally regulated liquids and high-pressure pipelines might require more extensive data capture such as an expansive inventory of data for girth welds, fittings, tees, bends, valves, line crossings details, etc.

Low-pressure and non-regulated lines might have minimal requirements about the location and depth of the pipeline.

Regardless, we have experience with all types and can expand on our knowledge base. Just send us a message and we'll be glad to help clarify what your project might need.

When can I expect to receive the final as-built survey package after the pipeline is complete and operational?

Our mission is to turn around all as-built pipeline projects 30 days after demobilizing our survey crews or the commissioning of the pipeline for operations, whichever comes first. We understand the value of the data we collect and prioritize handing off a complete data package to the pipeline operator in a timely fashion.

telecommunication surveying

How long does it take to generate an FAA 1-A certificate?

Once we get the go-ahead, it's generally a 1-2 week process after the administration of 811-locate submissions.

Can Open Range Field Services issue a request for 811-locate tickets to identify below ground utilities?

Yes! In fact, we are very familiar with the 811 process and administer submissions on a regular basis.

what land records will open range field services need in order to certify to the public right-of-way limits location?

In order to certify to the public ROW, we first need to perform a title record search. This includes a search for any relevant and relative documents (such as vesting deeds and subdivision plats) that will help us to establish boundaries in the field survey and ensure utility placement is within the intended public ROW.

Please feel free to reach out to us if you have any questions! Our team is happy to help. We'd be grateful to serve alongside you in the completion of your projects.

volumetric surveying

What is a volumetric survey?

A volumetric survey is the comparison of the results of two or more topographical surveys conducted at different points in time. It's sometimes referred to as a "containment" survey, which is the measurement (volume) of liquid product that a diked or remote impoundment might isolate (spill prevention) in the case that a primary storage tank or vessel were to rupture or otherwise fail.

Do you typically use drone (UAS) technology to collect the field data?

Yes, we almost always use drone technology on volumetric/containment surveys. It's a hybridized surveying method we have strategically developed specifically for this type of work.

Data received from drone technology is more accurate and more detailed. The amount of data and density of the data we receive from our UAS/Drone collection processes exponentially exceeds the amount of data a traditional surveying crew can collect in a single day. 

It's all about using the right tool for the job, but most often, our survey-grade UAS (drone) processes produce the best and most cost-effective results for this type of work.

Land surveying

Can you update or certify an older survey performed by another surveyor?

Updating an older survey performed by another surveyor or survey company requires current research and a trip to the field. Because there are so many variables involved, we strongly suggest a total makeover on a project where the survey needs updating.

Do you have to go back to the field to update a certified survey Open Range Field Services previously provided one year ago?

Yes. During that time, adjoiners may have improved and encroached. Other surveyors may have been on-premise and established conflicting lines and set monuments to support their conclusions. New research and a trip to the field is a minimum.

What's the difference between a boundary survey and a title survey?

The Title Survey is needed for the purpose of insuring title and is usually required for the transfer of property rights when a third party lender is involved. A Title Survey requires certain details to be addressed in addition to meeting the minimum standards for a Boundary Survey. These additional details often include:

  • Mapping of improvements to the property as well as those within five feet of the property boundary

  • Identifying potential encroachments

  • Depiction of any encumbrances provided in the title commitment with respect to the property boundary (including any visual evidence of potential encumbrances not included in the title report)

Boundary Surveys may be performed without the benefit of showing property improvements or encumbrances (buildings, easements, right-of-ways, utilities, etc.). The location of the boundary lines and corners, along with a thorough and retraceable description of the property boundary, is the primary focus of a Boundary Survey.

Both the standard Boundary Survey and Title Survey require a Registered Professional Land Surveyor (RPLS), experienced with the practice and principals of boundary law in the state where they work to supervisor the work and deliver certified exhibits.

What information do you need for a title survey?

In order to perform a Title Survey, the surveyor will need:

  • The subject property address

  • The legal description of the subject property

  • A title commitment with all supporting documentation referenced therein (from the title/abstract company)

  • The adjoining property deeds. 

The title commitment will be an abstract of every recorded transaction that ever included the subject tract (or mentions the subject tract) and is identified through research and verified through surveying prior to certifying the Title Survey.

Unmanned aerial systems

What is an unmanned aerial system (U.A.S.)?

An unmanned aircraft and the system/equipment to control it remotely.

Is open range field services commercially insured?

Yes, we are!

Does open range field services need access to the property?

We only need access to the property if we need to produce a survey-grade surface model (i.e. elevations). If we only need imagery, our team won’t need access to the property. However, we do need permission from private landowners and/or facility operations to operators an unmanned aerial vehicle (U.A.V., i.e. "drone"). 

Can Boundary lines be determined by drone (U.A.S.) imagery and data?

Your actual boundary lines cannot be determined without putting boots on the ground, but drone imagery can aid in the placement or dispute of boundary. It can also identify your physical boundaries like fences, rivers, roads, and walls.

When does it make sense to use manned aircraft versus drone data capture?

It’s best to use manned aircraft for areas over 1000 acres or right of way longer than 5 miles––or areas that need data collected when receiving permission to operate a U.A.V. is not likely or uncertain.

bottom of page